Frittatas have long been a brunch favorite and this Keto Spinach and Ricotta Frittata will be crowd pleaser while providing you all the nutrition that spinach adds to any meal. Spinach is an excellent source of so many vitamins and minerals. Just to name a few, Spinach is rich in Vit A, Vit C, Folic Acid, and Iron but also includes other nutrients like magnesium, potassium, and fiber.
In most families, it has always been a challenge for convincing your kids to eat their “green stuff”. This Spinach and Ricotta Frittata will not taste like they are eating their veggies and they may even ask for seconds.
This Frittata is a perfect prepare ahead meal, so you do not have to wake early to provide breakfast for your family. It is also perfect when entertaining a group of friends and family. It is a very easy “throw together” meal that will feed your whole group while making you look like a gourmet chef. This filling dish will be a lifesaver for you when feeding a large group. If you are not feeding a large group, it can be a great option to store and reheat for breakfast or brunch.
How To Make Keto Spinach and Ricotta Frittata:
Step One: Set your oven on 375 degrees to preheat.
Step Two: Add 1 TBSP of olive oil and chopped onions to an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and sauté them for a few minutes until they begin to become translucent.
Step Three: Add the following ingredients (Baby Spinach, Basil, and Minced Garlic) to the skillet and cook until spinach is wilted.
Step Four: In a mixing bowl add the eggs and heavy whipping cream and whisk until combined.
Step Five: Add the egg and cream mixture to the skillet with the vegetables and salt and pepper to taste.
Step Six: Continue to cook the mixture over medium heat until the sides of the mixture begin to set up in the skillet.
Step Seven: Once the sides begin to set, add the mozzarella cheese on top of the egg mixtures and then place four tablespoons of ricotta cheese over the top of the egg/cheese mixture.
Step Eight: Add the skillet to the oven at 375 degrees and back for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and begins to brown on top.
Step Nine: Remove from oven and allow the frittata to cool for a bit and cut and serve. Top with fresh parsley if desired.
Can I Add Other Ingredients to This Keto Spinach and Ricotta Frittata?
My absolute favorite ingredients to add to this keto frittata recipe is bacon and mushrooms. It just gives it a little more earthy flavor with some pork fat. This is usually a kid-pleaser too. I like to sauté the mushrooms with the vegetable mixture but cook the bacon to a crispy consistency ahead of time so I can crumble it before adding the cheeses.
Can I Freeze This Spinach Ricotta Frittata?
This dish is perfect to prepare ahead of time and freeze. If I know I want to prepare it for an event I am planning later, I do not cook it until brown. I just cook it until the eggs are solid and then when I am ready to serve it, I remove from the freezer and let thaw in refrigerator overnight and then put it in the oven for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
- ● 8 Eggs
- ● ⅓ c Heavy whipping cream
- ● ½ Medium onion chopped
- ● 2-3 c. Baby spinach
- ● 2 Cloves minced garlic
- ● 1 tbsp Olive oil
- ● ½ tsp Basil
- ● ½ c Shredded mozzarella cheese
- ● 4 tbsp Ricotta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat on the stove.
- Add in 1 tbsp of olive oil as well as the chopped onions. Cook them for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
- Mix in the baby spinach, basil and minced garlic. Stir until the spinach has wilted.
- Whisk together 8 eggs and ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the mixture cook over medium heat until the sides begin to just start to set.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top of the mixture.
- Drop four tablespoons of ricotta cheese over the top of the frittata.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven, and cook for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and just starting to brown on the top.
- Remove, let sit for several minutes and serve topped with fresh parsley as garnish if desired.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Net Carbs: 4 net carbs per serving