When you think of low carb, the last item you think you can have on your list of favorites is Gnocchi. Traditional Gnocchi is made from potatoes and flour and by no means are low carb. This Gnocchi recipe is so versatile you can use them in a large variety of dishes and with different sauces to spice them up to make every meal perfect and low carb. This Keto Garlic Gnocchi will have you in disbelief that it is really a low carb option for your keto diet.
Your little Italian grandmother will have nothing on you when you serve this garlic gnocchis to your family and friends. They will think you slaved in the kitchen for hours on end making these delicious little snacks. They are so scrumptious your kids will ask for them repeatedly. You can even serve them as finger foods or use them in dishes where they are the main attraction.
This will be a “go-to” recipe for you. You will want to make these ahead of time and toss them in the freezer so you can pull them out and cook them up to toss with veggies to make a full-fledged meal in a pinch. They are perfect just fried up and used as appetizers or you can all pesto sauce or cheese sauce to give them an Italian meal flare.
How To Make Keto Garlic Gnocchi:
Step One: In a microwave-safe bowl, add the mozzarella and cook for 1 minute in the microwave until it begins to melt and stir. In 15 second internals, continue to heat and stir the cheese until it is completely melted. Do not burn the cheese.
Step Two: Remove the bowl from the microwave. Allowing the cheese to cool for a bit, add the egg yolks one at a time combining them thoroughly with the cheese.
Step Three: Add the garlic powder to the egg/cheese mixture and stir until all combined.
Step Four: Refrigerate the bowl with the dough mixture for 30 minutes.
Step Five: After the dough has cooled for 30 minutes, remove it from the refrigerator and portion it into 4 equal amounts.
Step Six: Place each portion of dough in a piece of parchment paper and roll it until the dough is in a thin strand that is about 15 inches long.
Step Seven: Remove the dough from the parchment paper and cut the dough into one inch (bite-sized) pieces.
Step Eight: You can give your gnocchi a traditional look by pressing down gently with the tines of a fork on each bite-sized piece of dough – this step is optional – for appearance only.
Step Nine: In a large pot of boiling salted water, place the gnocchi, and cook for 1-2 minutes until they are floating on top of the water. Remove from water. Do not overcook.
Step Ten: Add a small amount of olive oil and butter to a skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil and butter are up to temperature, add the gnocchi to the skillet and sauté until they are brown and crispy. Remove them from the skillet.
Step Eleven: Top the gnocchi with fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan and serve.
Can I Freeze Keto Garlic Gnocchi?
These garlic gnocchi bites are perfect for freezing. You can prepare them right before you cook them in the salted boiling water and then freeze them for cooking later. It is best to cook them frozen when you are ready to use them. You may need to cook them slightly longer in the boiling water when they are frozen, but they will still come up delicious. For best results, do not thaw them before cooking.
What Other Ways Can I Serve this Keto Garlic Gnocchi?
Some of my favorite ways of serving these tasty little snacks are with pesto sauce and veggies sautéed together and the tossed with gnocchi. I also love to sauté onions, mushrooms, and asparagus and toss in some microgreens and the gnocchi. The options are endless and they can be used anyway you would use traditional pasta.
Can I Add Other Spices Beside Garlic to This Gnocchi Recipe?
Absolutely you can add other spices to this gnocchi. It really depends on how you plan on serving this dish. Some of my favorite spices to add are rosemary, thyme, and oregano.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
This Keto Garlic Gnocchi will have you in disbelief that it is really a low carb option for your keto diet. you can use them in a large variety of dishes and with different sauces to spice them up to make every meal perfect and low carb.
- 3 Egg yolks
- 2 c Shredded Mozzarella Cheese has to be Part Skim
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Olive oil and butter
- Melt the mozzarella cheese in a bowl in the microwave. Cook for 1 minute, stir, and then heat at 15 second intervals until completely melted.
- Let the cheese cool for a minute, and then add in the egg yolks one at a time, mixing them in completely.
- Add in the garlic powder, and mix thoroughly.
- Place the dough into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, and section it into 4 equal portions.
- On a piece of parchment paper, roll each section of dough into a long thin strand that is about 15 inches long.
- Cut the dough strands into bite sized one inch pieces.
- Press down gently on each piece with the tines of a fork to give it that true “gnocchi” appearance if you want.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Place the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook for a minute or two until they float.
- Remove the gnocchi from the water.
- In a skillet, melt a bit of olive oil and butter. Add the gnocchi to the skillet, and saute for a few seconds until browned and crispy.
- Remove the gnocchi from the skillet, and serve topped with freshly chopped parsley and grated parmesan.