Bean vs. No Bean…. That is the question. Start that conversation anywhere in Texas and you will get quite a heated debate with the right crowd. The history of chili goes way back to the early 1850s in Northern Mexico or also known today as Southern Texas. Some believe this current day tradition to add beans to chili came from Mexican tradition to serve beans as a side dish with their chili and thus just evolved into adding he beans directly into the chili. In a lot of parts of the southwest, rice is also served alongside chili.
So, I am calling this recipe Keto Chili because more recent day tradition has been to add beans to our chili and thus giving carbohydrates which, I am sure in the wild west, they were needed for energy and promotion of a healthy digestive system. However, beans are unnecessary in a keto lifestyle so we went back to the “original” chili recipe for this Keto Chili.
This Keto Chili recipe will be a crowd-pleaser with most kids because, as a kid, I picked all my beans to the side and ate the meat portion of the chili only. Kids tested and parent-approved!
Keto chili and soups are some of my favorite keto meal prep recipes and this chili is no exception. It’s so easy to make a large batch and serve the leftovers for lunch the rest of the week or even freeze them.
Oh and remember my Keto Cornbread recipe? SO good with this Keto Chili! Truly a match made in kitchen heaven!
How to Make Keto Chili:
Step One: In a large skillet fry 6 slices of bacon over medium-high heat until cooked through and is crispy. Remove from skillet and blot them with a paper towel to drain them and set aside.
Step Two: Remove most of the bacon grease from the skillet leaving only a little layer.
Step Three: Cook onions, celery, and bell pepper over medium-high heat in the skillet until cooked and tender
Step Four: Add the ground beef to the skillet and mix with the cooked vegetables until all the beef is brown and crumbly. If there is excess fat, drain the fat off the cooked beef.
Step Five: Once the beef is cooked and fat is drained if necessary, add in 1 minced Jalapeno pepper and minced garlic and continue cooking for an additional minute.
Step Six: After you cook the jalapeno and garlic a bit add in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and paprika. Mix to the beef and vegetable mixture and cook an additional 30 to 60 seconds longer.
Step Seven: Crumble the cooked bacon from Step One and add the pieces to the skillet.
Step Eight: Add 3 ounces of tomato paste and the can of diced tomatoes to the meat mixture in the skillet and simmer on low heat adding in Salt and Pepper to Taste.
Step Nine: Mix in a cup of bone broth and simmer for 20 minutes leaving the skillet uncovered.
Step Ten: Remove Keto Chili from the heat and serve with shredded cheddar cheese as a garnish! Bone Appetite!!
What Other Variations Can I Do to This Keto Chili Dish?
The variations to this Keto Chili Dinner are endless. You can substitute ground beef for pulled or cubed beef, pork, chicken or turkey. You can add additional spices such as cilantro, thyme, or rosemary. You can add additional veggies such as mushrooms. You can also add additional toppings as a garnish such as sour cream or avocado.
How Well Does This Keto Chili Freeze?
If sealed appropriately, this chili will keep up to one month in the freezer with no issues at all. When reheating later, make sure the chili is totally thawed in the refrigerator ahead of time, and pop in the microwave on high for 1-2 minutes depending on volume. You can also put it in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes.
What Can I Serve This Keto Chili With?
My favorite thing to eat alongside my Keto Chili is a Keto Cornbread. My second favorite option to serve with this chili recipe is cauliflower rice. It is a great accompaniment to this dish!
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
Keto chili and soups are some of my favorite keto meal prep recipes and this chili is no exception. It's so easy to make a large batch and serve the leftovers for lunch the rest of the week or even freeze them.
- 2 lb. Ground beef
- 1 Bell pepper chopped
- 1 Small onion chopped
- ½ c. Celery chopped
- 1 Jalapeno finely chopped
- 4 Cloves minced garlic
- 6 Sliced bacon
- 1 (14.5 oz.) Can diced tomatoes
- 3 oz. Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. Chili powder
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- ½ tbsp. Oregano
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 1 c. Bone broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cheddar cheese for garnish
- Cook the 6 slices of bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove them from the skillet once crispy, drain them and set aside.
- Pour the majority of the bacon grease out of the skillet, leaving only a thin layer.
- Add the onions, celery and bell pepper to the skillet, and cook until crisp tender.
- Mix the ground beef into the vegetables, and cook it until completely browned. Drain the excess fat if necessary.
- Pour in 1 finely chopped Jalapeno and the minced garlic, and cook for an additional minute.
- Toss in the chili powder, cumin, oregano and paprika. Stir to combine, and cook for 30 seconds to a minute longer.
- Chop the bacon pieces from earlier, and toss them into the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add in 3 ounces of tomato paste and a can of diced tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in a cup of bone broth, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 403Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 113mgSodium 471mgCarbohydrates 8gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 2gSugar 3gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 37g
More Keto Recipe ideas
If you love this homemade Keto Chili recipe as much as I do, I am confident you will want some of these easy dinner options too. Take a look and let us know which ones you like best.
- Easy Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole – If you love chicken cordon bleu, you need this casserole in your life. Its incredible flavor is hard to beat, and it’s so easy too.
- The Best Keto Breakfast Casserole Recipes for Ketogenic Diet – Casseroles aren’t just for dinner! There are some drool-worthy breakfast casseroles out there too.
- 20 Keto Friendly Casseroles For Busy Nights – This list of keto casseroles are sure to have your mouth watering by the end of it. They are so amazing and don’t take tons of effort either. Win-Win!
- Keto Creamy Cauliflower Chicken Casserole – We love all sorts of chicken casseroles at our house. The combination of cauliflower and chicken is out of this world. Trust me; you are going to want to try this one.