Keto never tasted so good…. this Keto Cheese Stuffed Salisbury Steak recipe is a crowd pleaser and will make your mouth water even before you stick your fork into it. It is just like your grandmother’s Salisbury Steak recipe but better.
This Cheese Stuffed Salisbury Steak may not be what you immediately picture when you think Salisbury Steak. In fact, I would even go as far as to call this recipe a keto cheeseburger recipe. A dang good keto burger, at that.
So, if it doesn’t look like traditional Salisbury steak, what makes this keto burger recipe Keto Cheese-Stuffed Salisbury Steak? The flavor and sauce! This keto Salisbury steak sauce will taste just like what your grandmother used to make. It is so mouthwatering and comforting!
What else makes this keto burger recipe so great? The cheese! When you add cheese and meat together, how can you go wrong? This is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters in your family.
This Cheese Stuffed Salisbury Steak is a keto cheeseburger recipe that no one will be able to resist. It is good at a barbeque with friends or a Sunday brunch with the family. No one will realize how easy it is to make and everyone will be asking for the recipe!
You can serve this Cheese Stuffed Salisbury Steak on your favorite keto-friendly bun, enjoy it as it as, or serve over cauliflower rice to make it a complete meal. The keto Salisbury Steak sauce tastes oh-so-good over some cauliflower rice!
How To Make Keto Cheese Stuffed Salisbury Steak:
Step One: Combine the ground beef, egg and crushed pork rind crumbs in a mixing bowl.
Note: Pork Rinds can be crumbled by using a food processor or placing them into a Ziploc and use a rolling pin to crush them
Step Two: Add the onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste and 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce to the beef mixture.
Step Three: Add salt and pepper to taste
Step Four: Mix all the ingredients well with your hands
Step Five: Cut into 3 equal pieces all of the mozzarella sticks
Step Six: Make a patty out of the meat mixture, holding it in your hand, place two pieces of cut mozzarella stick into the center of the patty. Cover the cheese with another small patty of the meat.
Note: Mixture should make 6-8 stuffed meat patties depending on how big you make them. Try to make them all equal sizes to they cook evenly.
Step Seven: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 TBSP of olive oil and 1 TBSP of unsalted butter
Step Eight: Add the meat steaks to the hot skillet and cook 5-6 minutes or until the desired doneness on each side – only flipping once for best results
Step Nine: Remove meat from skillet and keep warm
Step Ten: Add onions to the skillet and cook until brown and tender
Note: Remove some of the pan drippings if necessary
Step Eleven: Add 2 cups of beef bone broth to the skillet – scrape the bottom of the skillet to deglaze it.
Step Twelve: Using a whisk, add 2 TBSP of softened cream cheese, 1 tsp of tomato paste, 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste
Step Thirteen: Simmer gravy mixture over medium heat until the sauce thickens
Note: Optional addition of ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream to assist in sauce thicken if desired
What Should I Serve My Keto Cheese Stuffed Salisbury Steak With?
My personal favorite additions to this meal are broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, or on a bed of arugula, kale, swiss chard, and spinach.
Can I Substitute Other Proteins for Beef?
Not a beef fan? You can substitute the beef for other ground proteins such as Lamb, Buffalo, Turkey, or Pork. This gives you a whole new flavor profile to your traditional Keto Stuffed Cheese Salisbury Steak.
Can I freeze this Stuffed Salisbury Steak and How Long?
Yes, you can portion and freeze this cooked or raw. If you plan to cook this meal and freeze it, I suggest cooking it partially through and then when you are ready to serve it you thaw it and then cook it completely in a hot skillet. If you are freezing “leftovers” then I suggest thawing and reheating it quickly in the microwave. You can store this for up to 3 months in a vacuum-sealed container.
Now, remember to save this recipe on Pinterest for later 🙂
For the Patties:
- 2 lbs. Ground beef
- 6 Mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 Egg beaten
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ c. Crushed pork rind crumbs
- 2 tsp. Tomato paste
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter unsalted
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 c. Onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Cream cheese softened
- 2 c. Beef bone broth
- 1 tsp. Tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ c. Heavy whipping cream (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, egg and crushed pork rind crumbs. You can use a food processor to create the crumbs, or you can place the pork rinds into a Ziploc, and use a rolling pin to crush them.
- Mix in the onion powder, garlic powder, tomato paste and 2 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste, and then mix with your hands until the mixture is incorporated well.
- Cut the mozzarella sticks each into 3 equal pieces.
- Form a patty out of the meat mixture and place it in your hand. Put two pieces of cut mozzarella stick into the center of the patty, and then cover with another small patty of the meat mixture. Form 6-8 stuffed meat patties.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the meat patties and cook about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until the meat is cooked through to your desired temperature.
- Remove the meat patties and keep them warm.
- Pour out some of the pan dripping if necessary, and add in the onions. Cook the onions until browned and tender.
- Mix in 2 cups of beef bone broth, and scrape the bottom of the skillet to deglaze it.
- Whisk in 2 tbsp of softened cream cheese.
- Add in 1 tsp of tomato paste and 2 tsp of worcestershire sauce, as well as salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer the sauce until it thickens. You can add in an optional ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream to help it thicken as well if desired.
Looking for more tasty dinner options? Check out these recipes, and you will be so glad you did. Each one is perfect for a keto or low carb diet and tastes great too. Have a look:
- Keto Egg Foo Young – I am super excited for you to see and try this incredible dish. If you love egg foo young, then be sure to check it out. You could even serve this with the egg roll in a bowl too.
- Keto Lemon Herb Salmon Sheet Pan Meal – Sheet pan meals are perfect when you eat low carb (or anytime really). They give you an entire meal, and there is no need for side dishes. Win!
- Keto Italian Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf – Oh, you have never had meatloaf this amazing and decadent. Stuffing it with cheese takes it to a new level and will leave a lasting impression. You really need to taste it to understand how good it is.
- Keto Ham and Cheese Crustless Quiche – The thing I love about quiche recipes is that you can pretty much eat them any time of day. Yum!